Friday, December 31, 2004

Evangelism 101, Hip Hop Style

I helped a friend move yesterday, along with a crew of seven teenage boys. They're all great kids from God-fearing, evangelical families. They're all actively involved in a local church youth group, and most, if not all, attended Christian elementary and middle schools. One of the boys' parents are pastors of a leading church in New York City. Unlike many classic PK's, he actually loves the Lord. Three or four of the boys, including the aforementioned PK, were wearing G-Unit t-shirts. Ah, the irony. Great kids, Christian kids, representin' G-Unit. Among G-Unit's recent memorable moments:

  • Frontman 50 Cent's claim to fame is surviving nine bullets from an attempted hit on his life in 2000.
  • On Nov. 19, 2004, Young Buck surrendered to police on charges he knifed a man during a melee at the Vibe awards.
  • Tony Yayo was released from prison this past spring after a year and a half incarcerated for multiple offenses.
  • In January 2004, "G-Unit Adult Films" announced plans to produce "Groupie Luv" with adult film producer "Digital Sin."
  • For more G-Unit headlines, visit MTV News.

Sample G-Unit Lyrics:

  • "Vacate your home I come to brake your bones / Americas nightmare we at it again ... Come with me but dont run and die where your standin' / See i'm holdin' on this cannon and your life i'm demandin' / Put the pipe to your melon and your brains on the pavement ... Nobody gon speak when homicide pay a visit ... You betta get used to it you know how we do it" (from "G-Unit")
  • "Sometimes i ride um slow sometimes i ride um quick / Thats the reason these groupies is on my ****/ Listen young and old these hoes is loose / Wintertimes the staircase summertimes the roof ... Have a church girl on the bus move an wait ... When you see me in V.I.P with hoes around me / Man now give me that groupie love ... Tonight you wanna **** wit me its alright with me / Come on an gimme that groupie love" (from "Groupie Love")
  • For more G-Unit lyrics, go here.
I have to assume that none of the boys -- never mind their parents! -- actually know or understand the lifestyle that G-Unit represents. Yet they wear G-Unit t-shirts (along with Sean John, Roc-a-Wear, Phat Farm, and other Hip Hop fashion labels) because they're cool. Therein lies the genius of Hip Hop. Read more about how Hip Hop has revolutionized youth culture while CCM (so-called "Contemporary Christian Music") has only revolutionized itself, here.

1 Comments:

At 9/08/2006 12:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a parent, I appreciate what you have to say about G-unit. You've given me a starting point in talking to my teens about what they're listening to. I listen to Christian music, but they don't. Any suggestions?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home